Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Did I Find My Purpose?

  Hey blog, it feels crazy to type that by this time tomorrow my short film "Unaware" will be released. I wanted to wrap up my A Level AICE Media blog the way I began it which was by discussing how I hoped to find purpose whilst creating my AICE Media Short Film.

  When I began this project I was facing some mental health struggles which led to me missing a good chunk of school. I am still dealing with these issues which have impacted my motivation levels. I believe the formation of this project brought out my "good side". I have noticed that when I am focused on something I am passionate about, whether it be an American Sign Language Signing Show (which I was a part of earlier this year) or coming up with social media marketing for Unaware, I become an overall more stable person. Was I stressed while making this film? Of course, I was, but it was a sort of good stress as it made me push myself and gave me a reason to go on.

  Now to reflect on the specifics of the project. I know I should have done more research into other coming-of-age films, but my lack of ideas at the beginning completely pushed my timeline back. If I would have watched other coming-of-age films I could have likely written a better script, but I do think my sort of modern-day culture-related lines in the script and overall storyline were good.

  Filming wise I would love to get a "real" camera for any future projects I decided to create as my iPhone was slightly problematic. I would not have the issues of forgetting my iCloud password and having trouble saving footage if I had a camera. Also, I like to invest in a mic and a lighting kit. I do think given the lightning I have in my home I used my resources well for example by using a night skylight that gave the bedroom a night-like atmosphere. I think it would have been nice to use a mic to record the few sounds I recorded such as the shower running and the sink running. This would have given me clearer sounds.
  
  Editing wise I am happy with what I created. I think iMovie really pulled through in being easy to use. I would like to learn how to use other editing platforms on my own time when I have lots of time to learn the programs, but for now, iMovie worked well. I was able to use certain iMovie tools I had not used prior such as the ability to speed up clips and the usage of filters.

   In regards to marketing this was my favorite aspect of the project. My postcard may be slightly boring as I forgot to take any pictures during the filming process... but I think it came out alright. I really like my social media. I interact with my audience on YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, and Spotify which are all commonly used by my target audience. I enjoyed getting to be creative when posting specifically when creating the TikToks. I do however wish I could have learned how to import fonts into and out of Canva as I believe this would have created more cohesiveness within my project.

  I am very thankful for the people I worked with during this film. Paola was a great actress as well as an overall supporter throughout this process. She is a person who will give her honest opinions so this was much appreciated. I also have to thank, Laura, who played the unseen role of the mother in both the film and my life. Her support throughout this process is very appreciated. I also must thank Ale Aldana who created the songs used in both the film itself and the blooper reel. The song "When Do I Stop" well-encapsulated Sofia's emotions. Prior to Ale's offer to create this song for my film, I really had given up on music due to not hearing back from multiple companies. Lastly, I thank the past and current AICE Media Students and my teacher Ms. Stoklosa (hi if anyone is reading this) who have made me push myself. Seeing other people's projects come to life has been awesome. The people in my class are crazy talented and I cannot wait to see what they accomplish in life as most of them head to college.

  It feels weird to think I will not be taking AICE Media during my senior year of high school. I am a person who hates change so I hope to continue to use my film passion to create new projects just for funsies. One passion AICE Media sparked in me was the passion for social media/marketing. I first fell into this when I created a website and merchandise for the AS Level Music Marketing project.  I then again was able to use this passion to create the social media for "Unaware" which I am quite of.

  I thank all of you who have read these blogs even if somedays the blogs were just me complaining about how all music companies hate me (side note, yesterday I received an email from the owners of the song "Cold Cold Man" by Saint Motel, which I wanted to use for my blooper reel, asking for more information to help me gain the rights to the song... a little late). I hope to continue to use my passion as a way to escape from my mind. I hope to blog more here in the future, even if it is just little life updates because I miss blogging.

So Did I Find My Purpose? Do people even have purposes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Update

   Hi blog, senior year has been something. I have decided to finish my year by graduating early attending online classes. I am still going ...